Yesterday, the brother who led our Lord’s Supper talked about the 7 sayings of Jesus on the cross. He referenced a short outline and I’m not sure of the source or author, but there are some great thoughts here.
- A prayer for His executioners – “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).
- A word of comfort for a fellow sufferer – “Today, thou shalt be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43).
- A word of tender care – “Woman, behold thy son…behold thy mother” (John 19:26-27).
- A word of loneliness – “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?” (Matthew 27:46).
- A word of need – “I thirst” (John 19:28).
- A word of triumph – “It is finished” (John 19:30).
- A prayer of resignation – “Father, into thy hands I commend My spirit” (Luke 23:46).
Look at our Lord in His darkest hour. Can you see His heart? Do you see His character and spirit shine through? Just an awesome thought for us today to think of what Jesus was like in the worst possible situation imaginable.