The following is a brief outline of a sermon that Nathan Booth preached for us Sunday on the topic, “Why Should I Obey God?”
He began the sermon with a funny story about how his sons were debating with their mother about who was going to put which dishes away while unloading the dishwasher. It came down to one son refusing to put 3 bowls away because they were another son’s responsibility. Nathan recounted that he began to reason with this son that, “It’s only 3 bowls.” He then quickly began to think, “Wait a minute, is that the reason my son should obey his mother…because it is only 3 bowls? What am I teaching my son?” Nathan concluded the story with the point that his son should obey his mother because she is his mother, not because there were only 3 bowls. It doesn’t matter, Nathan pointed out, if there were 300 bowls or only one fork!
This led into a thought process which became the sermon on Why Should I Obey God? Below is the rough outline of that sermon for your consideration. If you want to listen to the sermon, as well as get the full outline for the sermon, click here.
Why Should I Obey God?
Are there incorrect reasons for obeying God?
- To earn salvation (Ephesians 2:8-10).
- Thinking God will make my life miserable if I don’t obey (Matthew 5:44-45; Psalm 73:11-12). Even wicked people have God’s blessings rained down on them at times.
What are VALID reasons for obeying God?
- Faith – He is the Lord (Leviticus 22:31-33; Exodus 34:6-7; Luke 6:46-48). The Lord, Jesus, also came and gave us an example of obeying His Father’s will (Philippians 2:5-11; John 15:10). Nathan used the account of Jesus turning water into wine to make a point about Jesus’ relationship with his mother. Mary’s statement in John 2:5, Nathan stated, is “the confident expectation of a mother who is used to being obeyed” (see also Luke 2:51).
- Love – We are thankful for, and will not mistreat God’s gift of grace. He purchased us with His own blood (Acts 20:28)! We love Christ for what He did for us (John 14:21).
- Hope – There are eternal rewards for following Jesus (Luke 6:35; Matthew 5:8; 16:27; 25:19-21; John 14:23). You will just have to listen to the sermon to hear about Ice Cream Universe!
Again, please refer to the link for Nathan’s full outline. Thanks, Nathan, for this wonderful sermon!