2020 was not the graduation year our graduates were expecting. They have had to deal with a year that was far different that they were anticipating. The class of 2020 will have a story to tell that is unlike any previous class.
We are proud of you seniors, whether you are graduating from high school or from college. Well done! And great job on being flexible and making the best of your senior year in the midst of the Covid-19 chaos. Although you have not had the year you wished for, we know that you will take these challenges and trials and use them to develop you even further in your growth as a man or woman.
The encouragement for you today is to look at the various men and women of the Bible who went through big changes in their lives, many of them away from their homes, and most of them in some great life-transforming events. Look at these men and women and live to imitate them.
- Be a Solomon who asked for wisdom (1 Kings 3)! We all need help and advice sometimes.
- Be a Daniel and a Moses who were educated in the world but did not become worldly (Daniel 1:4,8,17-20; Acts 7:22; Hebrews 11:24-26)! Daniel was a Dean’s list type student, but he did it without caving in to the culture.
- Be an Esther who stood up for others even when it could have cost Esther her life. She saw her purpose (Esther 4:12-16). Use your talents and positions in life to look out for the helpless and hopeless.
- Be a Joseph and stand for sexual purity in mind and in body (Genesis 39)! Joseph showed us that being sexual pure is not only possible, but God will richly bless you for keeping yourself pure!
- Be a Jacob and see that God is with you wherever you go, and He will keep His promises to you. Commit like Jacob to making the Lord your God (Genesis 28:10-22)! Jacob was on the run for his life, but was shown by God that God will always be with him.
The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them, The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. “So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them.”