And they came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone’s opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?”
What did these Jewish men recognize about Jesus?
- That He was true.
- That He did not care about anyone’s opinion.
- That He was not swayed by appearances.
- That He taught the way of God in truth.
Of course their motives were sinister and vindictive, but the character of Jesus was clearly known to them.
Men, will others be able to say this about us?
- That we are true (sincere, not fake, genuine)?
- That we don’t get all worked up by what others think?
- Do others see that we don’t cave in to peer pressure? Do they see us as those trying to keep up appearances?
- Do others recognize that what we say comes from the truth of God’s word? Do they see us as not standing on the sand of our own opinions and desires but on the rock solid foundation of God’s word? They may not agree with our conclusions, but they can see what we believe is our source for our answers.
When we down to the core of what a real man or a real woman should be, it needs to include this list of qualities that others clearly saw in Jesus. Even as they were trying to destroy Jesus, they could not deny these aspects of His character.